Skin Therapy Play Dough

I can’t tell you how excited I am to share with you my very own play dough recipe! This Skin Therapy Play Dough is amazing. It is incredibly easy to make, is less messy than typical play dough, smells like cookies, has no salt, and makes your skin feel heavenly.

Easy recipe for Play dough for sensitve skin

I adapted my play dough recipe from this Pumpkin Pie Play Dough recipe by Akinson Drive.

Why I love Skin Therapy Play Dough?

I really believe that it is one of the best play dough recipes that I have ever made. I made three batches of this play dough, and my child played with it for hours! I can’t believe that this play dough is not only easy but:

• Fast to make
  • Uses common ingredients. (If you don’t have coconut oil, just substitute olive oil. I buy my coconut oil from Amazon. Even though it is expensive compared to other oils, you can use it not only for baking but as a natural rash ointment for babies. It also smells heavenly.)
  • It involves NO cooking (not even hot water).
  • It has NO salt. Regular play dough can irritate sensitive skin, but this play dough conditions skin. (Note: This play dough needs to be stored in the refrigerator and has a shorter shelf-life as a result.)
  • It is easy to clean up. I couldn’t believe that this play dough didn’t cause the normal play dough streaks on the table that ordinary play dough does. I also swept up the bits of play dough that fell on the floor with a broom, and the dough didn’t stick to the broom or the floor!)
  • The wonderful smell makes this play dough perfect for pretend baking.
  • Your skin feels moist and smells wonderful after playing with this play dough. You won’t want to put it down. The oatmeal and coconut oil are natural skin conditioners.
  • The dough is easy to mold and has a great texture that is very similar to traditional play dough!

skin therapy oatmeal playdough: no salt, no cook play dough recipe

The Ingredients for Skin Therapy Play Dough:

• 1 cup (plus a couple Tbsp) All Purpose Flour
  • 1 cup Water (If you want to color the play dough, add the food coloring to the water.)
  • 2 cups Quick Oats
  • 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
  • 1 tsp Vanilla (opt.)
  • 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder (opt.)

How to Make Skin Therapy Play Dough

• Mix one cup of the flour, quick oats, and vanilla.
  • Add water and stir until the play dough forms a ball.
  • Knead in the coconut oil one tablespoon at a time.
  • Knead in the cocoa powder.
  • If the play dough is too sticky add flour a tablespoon at a time to reach the desired consistency.
  • Knead the play dough for around three minutes to make the dough elastic.

Store in the refrigerator and keep wrapped in an air tight container. Since this play dough does not have salt, it will not last as long as other play dough recipes. I would personally only keep it around a week and of course always check it carefully for a rancid odor or mold. I usually keep my play dough around 3 days.

If your play dough becomes sticky after time, you can add additional oil.

For an idea of how to play with this play dough be sure to check out my Cookie Dough Play Dough!

Cookie Dough Play Dough

If you make Skin Therapy Play Dough I would love to hear what you think!

Are you looking for more sensory play ideas for kids? Be sure to check out my: Four Season Sensory Bottles, Glittery Ball Bottles, and Play Dough Tea Party.

This blog contains Amazon affiliate links.

I’m Bethany, a mom who loves to add magic to my kids’ lives by books, activities, and fun! Don’t miss out, you can join me online on Facebook or sign-up to have No Twiddle Twaddle delivered directly to your email inbox.

Enter your email address:Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

• says

I agree, Crystal. I always get a little nervous with the high salt content of normal play dough especially when food like scents are added. Even if a child tasted this play dough I don’t think that they would eat much, since the flavor would be very bland with no salt.

1. says

Pinning this and trying in the near future. Isn’t coconut oil the best thing ever? I first discovered it when we started using cloth diapers with our second baby. Now I use it for everything, including to help keep my excema under control.

• says

That’s how I discovered coconut oil too. It really is so amazing & smells so wonderful! I have excema as well, so I’m going to have to try it for that too. I think that this play dough will work great for kids who have excema on their hands or extremely sensitive skin.

2. says

Oops! Somehow, posted this comment above without signing in and now I can’t seem to delete it. Pardon the technical difficulties here :)

Wow! I must admit that I rarely make play dough because it seems like such a chore. This though looks perfect. I have a feeling that you might become my girl’s favorite blogger!

3. Anonymous says

I am going to.have to try this. My two year old has severe excema. Never heard of coconut oil. Where can i get some?

4. Cordia P says

I made this in the food processor and it worked like a charm! I just had to keep adding a little extra flour to get it to the right texture so it wasnt sticky and gummy. It smells divine!! Cant wait for my boys to play with it!

5. Amber says

I’ve made this 3 times now. Not only is it my favorite homemade playdoh, it’s my 4 year-old twins favorite too. They get so creative with it, moreso than with other ones. Thank you!!

• says

Thank you, Amber! I’m so glad that your kids are enjoying it. I’ve found that my kids seem to really like it as well. I wonder if the texture and feel makes playing with it more pleasant.

6. Vickie B says

This will be great for our Down syndrome children as well! Their hands become very dry and wrinkly! As well as the other children in our group care! Thank you for sharing!

• says

Thanks, Vickie. I didn’t realize that! I’m glad that this recipe will be useful for you.

I know that even my own kid doesn’t like to play with homemade salt play dough. He loves to draw and usually has small paper cuts on his hands.

7. dawn says

i tried this with the oats and it came out crunchy. I did another batch with oat flour and it is coming out way better. hope this helps!

• says

Ours wasn’t crunchy. I would recommend just kneading it a little bit longer or adding a tiny bit more moisture. Using old fashioned oats might also add more texture issues. I usually use quick oats. That’s a great idea though to try it with oat flour though. I’ll have to try it sometime and compare the textures.

8. says

I used your recipe for our weekly activity for Family Night @ the Library last night. I divided the recipe by four in order to allow the children to mix all of the ingredients in a sandwich size zip baggie. They had a lot of fun. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I have added a hyperlink to your original recipe on my blog.

9. Sara P says

Loved this! We added sprinkles and the food color to make it a bit more fun. The kids at my in-home daycare keep asking for this over and over again! Distracted them for a good hour too :) Thanks for sharing!!

10. becca says

Is this recipe appropriate to use as an air-dry clay? ie, if my kiddos make sculptures with it, will it dry okay?
    Thanks for any input!

11. Marcellina says

We found this recipe through pinterest, and tried it out as soon as we found it. All four children (2 x 4.5yr, 3yr & 1.5) loved it! Kept their attention while I cleaned the kitchen and then some. :-) Clean up was a breeze, no smear marks on the table, the pieces on the floor swept up easily.

Their preschool teacher was ecstatic upon hearing your recipe!

12. Katie says

This dough is awesome, I saw your recipe ages ago and finally got around to trying it today… Let me tell you I really SUCK at making playdough! I have tried SOOOOO SOOOOO many recipes and I always create a disaster, don’t ask me how.. But this stuff is great.. my 2 year old loved that she could help ‘cook’ it and it does feel super satisfying to play with, without the crusty salty hands. Thank you!!! 10/10

• says

I would think so. I don’t use gluten free flour personally, so I’m not sure how it’s unique properties would affect the dough. I would just add the water slowly and perhaps add more oil if necessary until the dough has the right texture. If you try it, I would love to hear if it works!

13. Katie says

I am an infant teacher and this sounds perfect for just introducing infants to play dough! Especially since they have such sensitive skin and they’re prone to try to mouth the play dough! Not to mention the recipe is so simple I could make it on my lunch break!

Trackbacks